This recipe has been my go-to for cake frosting for many years, actually probably too many for me to remember without feeling a little melancholy, but I digress. Keep this recipe handy and you will always be able to throw a cake together, this doesn’t take a ton of skill but everyone will think you are a professional baker.
Change the flavor by adding cocoa powder to make chocolate, a bit of lemon zest and lemon extract to make lemon, use your imagination!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In small saucepan cook flour and milk until it forms a ball, stirring constantly. Cool to room temperature.
- With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Beat both mixtures together on high speed until fluffy and smooth. Add vanilla and beat until combined. Refrigerate for about 1/2 hour, until it is of spreading consistency.